Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Spamming of BLOGs

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:21:08 -0600

We have recently seen a large amount of SPAM directed at our
Blog sites, hosted on an external ASP. Have others seen this,
and what suggestions do you have to avoid in future?

Captchas.  Dunno what to do if you need ADA compliance though.

I'm suffering from wiki spam at the moment, and there's
no captcha code available for the wiki I'm using yet :-(

We have it under control on our Movable Type blog by requiring
postings to be moderated, and using the internal spam filter
to cut down on going through the junk looking for real
postings.  Unfortunately it's not very good and frequently
puts good posts in the junk file for moderation :-(