Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bare Social Social Security Numbers

From: Keith Schoenefeld <schoenk () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:39:31 -0600

Initially, I had the same concerns you address below about the exposure
of SSNs. The more I thought about it, the more I recognized that based
on the information the SSA provides (and that you cite below), anyone
can create a set of valid SSNs.  Given that the most anyone could really
glean from this data is some geographic data about where the SSNs were
issued.  I think it would be awfully tough for someone to actually put
names to the SSNs.

On a side note, we had a recent scare on campus where a faculty member
had created an example database using real student names combined with a
set of SSNs, addresses, phone numbers, etc. that were made up.  Students
in the class had exported the information into excel spreadsheets and
posted it on the web, then a parent doing a google search for their
child found their child's name in a spreadsheet with a SSN next to it,
and complained to the university immediately (not bothering to check to
see if it was really his/her child's SSN).  We quickly figured out that
it was a bogus database, but the numbers _looked_ real, and it sent some
of the upper level administrators scrambling until we figured out what
was going on.  Does anyone have a university policy about example
databases that will be distributed to students, and a requirement that
they contain only example SSNs that have never, and will never, be
handed out by the SSA?  Please ignore the fact that we likely shouldn't
be teaching students to key the databases using SSNs.

-- KS