Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bare Social Social Security Numbers

From: Keith Schoenefeld <schoenk () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:28:32 -0600

Obviously, I'm ignorant as to how easy it is to do a reverse lookup
based on SSNs, but the point remains, this is only slightly different
than someone generating SSNs out of thin air utilizing the guidance that
the SSA provides.  With respect to picking random SSNs being a no no, I
recognize that, I was just curious is other universities had policies to
that effect.  Does anyone here have such a policy?

-- KS