Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bare Social Social Security Numbers

From: scott hollatz <shollatz () D UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:41:13 -0600

I agree that the use of an identifier as authentication is flawed, but unfortunately what other solution is there?  Biometrics
are not anywhere near mature enough for a large-scale implementation, and even if they were, how do you "register"
individuals if the other forms of authentication are not reliable; i.e. SSN.

But, by definition, authentication is the binding of an identifier
to an entity.  This is even true in zero-knowledge or witness-hiding
authentication mechanisms.

This sounds like the perfect solution.  I think it's only a matter of
time before the use of an identifier as authentication becomes
ridiculous not only to security people, but also to financial institutions.