Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus Software

From: Justin Dover <dover () HARPETHHALL ORG>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:08:12 -0600

The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> on Tuesday,
November 15, 2005 at 3:54 PM -0600 wrote:
Virginia Tech currently has a site license with Symantec, but is looking at other options as its
approaching contract renewal time.  Our preference is to have a package that handles several
platforms, has easy or automatic updates, easy activation, etc.  I was wondering what other
institutions might be using, and what their experience has been.  Symantec has been a good product
for us, but with many new options available today I thought it might be worthwhile to hear from
some other institutions.

You can share with the listserv, or send directly to me at wdonald () vt edu.

We use Etrust by Computer Assoicates.  On the 4th year with them and no reason to change.  Central
console manages everything.  I install the clients via login scripts.  I lock the client down so
they cannot change anything.  Update happen with my servers if they are on campus and via the
internet if off campus.  Setup a script that will auto install the client if for some reason they
uninstalled it.

I actually never schedule any virus scans.  I use the real time monitoring system and it works
great.  95% of my users are laptops so there is no way to determine when they will have them on.  I
have no idea how good or bad their support is because I have never had to call them in the past 4
years.  Solid product.  I know it runs on windows, netware, mac, linux, and sun.

Justin Dover
Harpeth Hall School
615-346-0082