Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password cracking benchmarks

From: "Hull, Dave" <dphull () KU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:56:00 -0600

Alan,

You may want to do some research on the Rainbow Crack tables. I don't
know the details, but 99.9% of Lanman passwords containing
alpha+numeric+symbols and space character can be "looked up" in RC
tables that are 64GB in size. This doesn't jive with the number you
arrived at for a full set of tables.

The Rainbow Crack web site at http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/,
shows the full table set at 64GB and the Shmoo Group has put up a full
table set on Bit Torrent available at http://rainbowtables.shmoo.com/.

I can tell you from playing around with RC that I've yet to stumble
across any passwords in that that .1% set.

Someone with a greater head for math than mine may be able to explain
the size discrepancy.

--
Dave "DP" Hull, Network Security Analyst
IT Security Office, A Division of Information Services