Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IP address conflicts / locating

From: Donald J Westlight <westligh () OHSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:13:02 -0800

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the post: I'm curious which of the DNS appliance solutions you tried?

Were you up against specific product bugs, or was it a broader maturity problem?

We're in the same boat and currently planning to ditch QIP in favor of an appliance...

Thanks much.

-Don Westlight
Network Engineering Manager
OHSU.EDU

A00JER2 () WPO CSO NIU EDU 12/18/05 6:55 AM >>>
We currently use Lucent QIP to manage our IP address space and DNS name
assignments.  We're DHCP with reserved IP addresses for those machines
that need them.  This is our second go around with QIP which we used a
few years ago, and liked well enough, but could not afford anymore
because of their pricing model (charging per IP address including
private IPs).  After trying out an appliance solution that ended up
being a disaster, we went back to QIP when Lucent finally got the
picture and made the software affordable enough for a public edu.  We
finally finished migrating everything over to QIP last month and
everyone seems happy enough.  We also have a home grown tool like the
one that Chris describes below.  Our network is mostly Cisco L3, but not
close to all, so writing a tool that could talk to several different
platforms has been difficult, but we've got some pretty good system
programmers on our staff who were able to get it done.  Our security
staff literally uses it every day, often several times/day.  My advice
would be to look at something like QIP, or Netreg, and to go to DHCP
ASAP.

Jason

---
Jason Richardson