Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IP address conflicts / locating

From: Randy Grimshaw <rgrimsha () SYR EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:04:52 -0500

using snmp
you can ask the layer 3 router for the MAC address currently using an IP.
using a database of your layer 2 switches, you can ask each one (usually in a subnet range) for the port a MAC address
has been seen on. It is also useful to ask how many devices are on that said port so that you can rank the most likely
port as being the one with the fewest total users. You can then lock the port if desired or track the user based on the
quality of your data.
<><Randy

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY   13244
315-443-5779
rgrimsha () syr edu

kshalla () UIC EDU 12/15/2005 6:54:55 PM >>>
At our school, all our IPs are public and statically
assigned.  Because we're a large school, and IP management is
decentralized, we often have IP address conflicts.  Our resolution
procedure is to call the network group which filters that IP
address.  Then we wait until the perpetrator calls the network group
to say that the network isn't working.  Then the perpetrator is told
to use a different address, and the original computer can have that
IP address back.  This can work when people are merely making
mistakes, however we're noticing rogue servers being installed, and
when they get filtered, they simply move on to another address.

I've asked if we can get a tool which will take as input the IP
address, and give the switch port where this IP is active, identify
where this switch is, and further identify to which building and room
that port connects.  Do other schools have this ability, or am I
asking for too much?