Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IP address conflicts / locating

From: Al Sparks <data345 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:41:59 -0800

This was back in the days before DHCP was common, if it even existed.
Bootp was used a little on that campus.  It was also before the days of
VLAN's.

Anyway, I had been sent to another office building for a week or so,
and had stopped using the IP address in that subnet.  When I came back,
my IP address was being used, even though my identifier was still in
the name server, which was the only real way we documented static IP
addresses.  So I brought up my linux box on that IP, which unlike
Windows 3.11 (or was it a Macintosh?  I forgot) wouldn't give up if
someone was already using that IP.  I typed in a telnet command to
somewhere, and it just hung there, but I knew it was flooding the
subnet with IP packets with my IP address on it.

I came back a couple of hours later and I had my IP address back again.

However, I'm surprised that there's still a large University out there
that doesn't use DHCP for workstations / laptops.  I consider that a
best practice.
   === Al

--- David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU> wrote:

  It's going to depend largely on the equipment you use.  We're
able to do this with most of our current gear (although it's terribly
SLOW) because the switches also do layer 3 routing; on the old
layer 2 only Cisco switches I used to work with, clients could
only be located by MAC address and not IP.  (Searching by MAC
address is slower than by IP address with the new gear, but more
reliable for unknown reasons.)
  Matching switch port numbers to jack locations depends on you
documenting how the switches are wired to the patch panels.

  A technique I've found useful, especially when rogue devices just
hop to another jack, is to create a "black hole" VLAN and assign the
rogue's MAC address to that VLAN.  Somehow, jacks that work for others
stop working when they plug in....  Eventually, they either call for
support or conclude that their NIC is broken.

David Gillett