Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IP address conflicts / locating

From: "Brian K. Doré" <bkd () LOUISIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:05:14 -0600

Your first challenge is to have a way to document your static address assignments, and you need to include the MAC address of the
NIC along with the IP so you can be certain who really owns the address and who is stealing it.   Layer 2 switches only care
about MAC addresses so you need to identify the addresses involved in the conflict and determine which is the rogue then query
your inventory database or your switch MAC tables to locate the offending machine.  Generally the MAC address of the  rogue is
included in the error that appears.  You can also get it by turning off the real owner, ping the rogue and then looking in your
ARP cache.  A lot of the less expensive unmanaged switches won't have a way to examine the MAC tables to do this so you need
to ask your networking department what their capabilities are.  A good database of your machine inventory including MAC
addresses, who the machine belongs to and where it's physically located can be a great help.     Another thing you might
want to consider is  a DHCP solution like Netreg.   You really need to get a handle on something like this before someone
interferes with the operation of  a machine thats important.

Brian

Brian Dore
Office of Information Systems
University of Louisiana at Lafayette