Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Last 4 digits of SSN and birthdate

From: "Mark T. Nardone" <m.nardone () NEU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:37:46 -0400

I have to agree with Sarah here.
If I were a bad person (I'm not, but I do get paid to think like one at
times) I could do all sorts of financial mischief with this kind on
information and some Googling. A name, DOB and the last four SSN, what
could I do? I could easily find the address, I know the age and the
location, what are the chances this person lives in the same state their
were born? From this I could get the whole SSN. Hell even with just the
last four and some record searching I could get most of the information I
would need to answer most credit card challenge questions.

I highly recommend that they find some other way to identify your alumni,
how hard would it be to assign everyone an Alumni number? Year of
graduation-00001, have that relate to the database as a search key. The
best rule of thumb is never use SSN to identify a person. If I were you,
make your case with University Advancement like this: how much money do
you think an Alumni is going to give you when they hear that you have
exposed them to the risk of identity theft, simply for the convenience of
looking them up in a database?

regards

Mark

Mark T. Nardone
IT Security Analyst
Northeastern University
448 Columbus Place
Boston , MA 02115
617.373.7901 (desk)
617.335.5082 (mobile)
617.373.8858 (fax)
m.nardone () neu edu
Northeastern AUP
This message may contain confidential or sensitive information,
and is intended only for the addressed individuals.  If you are not
a named addressee, or if you have received this message in error,
we ask your cooperation to refrain from disseminating, distributing or
copying this e-mail, and request that you delete it from your device.

Rebecca Ramos <rramos () PROVIDENCE EDU>
10/26/2005 03:48 PM
Please respond to The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv