Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Last 4 digits of SSN and birthdate

From: Brian Reilly <reillyb () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:31:52 -0400

Elizabeth,

There's a FERPA policy interpretation letter from the Department of
Education that addresses posting student grades along with 4 digits of
an SSN here: http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/doc/hunter.doc

While it's not quite the same situation, of note in the letter is the
Department of Education's indication that "...a social security
number, or portions thereof, are by definition 'personally
identifiable information' under FERPA...".  If pledge cards were
determined to be _public disclosure_ (and I don't know if they would
be), one could reason that they should not contain a portion of an
individual's SSN.  I have no idea if this interpretation has since
been challenged or changed, but it may be at least worth considering.

Regards,

Brian