Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Last 4 digits of SSN and birthdate

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:55:11 -0600

Elizabeth,

If you are going to print this much information on the cards, you may
as well print the entire SSN.  This information is enough to gather
the information to know what the entire SSN of the individual is.

Sarah Stevens
Stevens Technologies, Inc.

A representative of University Advancement contacted me and wanted
know if printing a person's birthday (MM/DD/YYYY) and the last 4
digits
of the person's SSN on pledge cards was acceptable.  The reason for
"needing" this info is it allows staff to search the alumni database
much faster.  Other info printed on the card: first name, middle
initial, last name, phone number, and address.

I can not find any sources prohibiting their request, but I am not
comfortable with displaying this info. I am concerned with the
precedence this  may set with other departments.  Any suggestions or
links to info would be appreciated.

Elizabeth Shannon
Pittsburg State University - Kansas