Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Opinions regarding Packeteer Packetshaper & alternatives

From: Scott Conti <scott () OIT UMASS EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:32:38 -0400

    We have been very happy with the Ellacoya 16000 product for several
years [supeceded by the 4000 and e30]. It is more than a single box
appliance. It has a SLE (Policy Engine - which we run on a Sun) and a
back-end database (Runs on a Dell 2650)  that can give you much better
control and reporting. We don't use the traffic profiling as much as we
use it to rate-limit based on ToS tagging that we do for res. hall
traffic. The Ellacoya 16000 has been easily handling 500mb/s sustained,
is extremely stable, and has been able to repel several  DoS attacks.

-Scott Conti