Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Opinions regarding Packeteer Packetshaper & alternatives

From: Justin Dover <dover () HARPETHHALL ORG>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:49:59 -0500

I have never used the Packeteer but I do have a NetEnforcer from Allot.  When I was shopping I
contacted both companies.  First I called Packeteer because of their rep.  They were unwilling to
send me a demo unit and the price was high.  I then contacted Allot and I got a demo within a few
days and it was cheaper.  After a week or two with the demo I called them back to see if the demo
was new or actually a "demo" unit that has been used.  When they told me it was new I requested a
bill.  Love this product.  It really allows me to control my bandwidth.  No matter how much
bandwidth you have, if you do not have control of it then it can bring your speeds down to a crawl.

Allot's support is AMAZING.  I have never had a company so eager to help me with things.  The very
few times I have called with unique setup situations they have always been very helpful.

I am not sure if it is better than the Packeteer but I am glad I bought it.

Justin Dover