Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Opinions regarding Packeteer Packetshaper & alternatives

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:16:11 -0400

I don't think we would have any legitimate network traffic off-campus without
it. We have two, one for I1, t'other for I2 ;-)

1) you need a bigger box than the numbers suggest you can use. Evaluate one with
your real traffic, if at all possible -- that helped us size appropriately.

2) There are other solutions out there, but most of them are either less
granular or way more complicated to implement, IMHO.

3) Take at least the level 1 training course to get started. Includes
information on how the box does it's magic, useful to think out creating a
traffic class on your own and using it for diagnosis in addition to control.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
   www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
   Say Yes Twice for Oberlin Schools!   www.oberlinyesyes.com

  "When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot
be too conservative." -- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968).

Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:
Hi,

I am interested in hearing opinions on Packeteer, Inc.'s PacketShaper
product as well as any opinions of competing devices.  I am looking to
perhaps deploy the Packeteer to shape outbound traffic and send some of
it to the bitbucket ("net radio", P2P, etc.).

Thanks,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis     <jlgaddis () ivytech edu>
Special Projects Manager