Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Browsers and OS's

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:03:24 -0400

All-

Just as a point of information; the upcoming Firefox 1.5 (now in Beta 1
status and available for testing) supposedly has a MUCH improved
auto-update mechanism. Not only is the notification itself more
prominent to the user, but that actual update process only downloads the
pieces of the application that need updating - it's not a full
re-install of the entire application as is done currently.

Regarding Microsoft's integration of Internet Explorer as a "feature" of
the OS, this is a very very BAD decision from a security perspective.
The reason IE flaws are often so catastrophic is precisely because of
this deep embedding of the browser into the OS.

And if I may jump on the soapbox for a moment: Microsoft's decision to
"integrate" IE into the OS a number of years back was based not on any
technical merit, but rather as a way to force customers to use IE
instead of Netscape. In federal court (with a straight face) they
claimed that IE was not a stand alone application but rather a core
feature of the Windows OS. They said this even though IE was available
on retail shelves as a stand alone shrink-wrapped application for both
Windows 95/98 and MacOS.  I guess perjury is OK when you're a
multi-billionaire MS executive ;-)

BTW, Montclair State supports Firefox and Thunderbird as our officially
supported browser and email apps, though all web/email services we
provide to our users will work with any standards compliant email/web
application.

--
Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, Networking

Jeni Li wrote:
My experience with Firefox update notification has been pretty spotty too. It tells me updates are available when I've already
applied the updates; it tries to download theme/plug-in updates and fails; it tosses up messages that an end user might find
confusing. I prefer Firefox hands-down for every situation except those few obnoxious IE-only sites -- two words, AdBlock and RIP --
but if keeping it updated on non-technical end users' systems is the goal, not so much. Unless maybe you're in an
environment where you can push out software updates using GPO or something.