Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Browsers and OS's

From: Eric Brewer <ebrewer () EMAIL SMITH EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:00:26 -0400

While more vulnerabilities may now be reported for Firefox than for IE, you
also need to look at the mean time that the vulnerability is unpatched.  For
IE, a vulnerability can be unpatched for months, even years, while the Firefox
team has reacted quickly in virtually all cases.

Eric Brewer
Smith College

lbrooks () CS FSU EDU 10/4/2005 11:25 AM >>>
Firefox allows for notification of when new updates are available and will
down load and install the updates with some prompting by the user. It will
not force users to install and updates though like Windows automatic update,
so user interaction is still required.

The integration with the OS of IE is one of the roots of its security
problems over the years. Having said that, the use of Firefox is not a
security panacea. As the use of Firefox reaches critical mass, more and more
vulnerabilities are being reported for the product. I think I remember
seeing a report that more security flaws have been discovered in the past
six months for Firefox than IE.

I use Firefox myself, but more because I like the product than for security
issues.

Thanks,

Louis Brooks
SAIT Labs