Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Default Deny Policy at Internet Border

From: "Brawner, David" <dbrawner () MARYVILLE EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:35:03 -0500

At Maryville University of St. Louis, we have had a default deny policy
in place both inbound and outbound for more than 2 years.  It has saved
our skins more than once.  We occasionally have an application that
requires us to investigate and open a port, but they are few and far
between after the first 3-4 weeks of use.

I know that I sleep well with the policy in place, and we have not had a
single warning from our ISP about any of our addresses port scanning,
spreading viruses, causing DDOS attacks, or "being a bad Internet
neighbor".  The policy also makes it that much harder for spyware and
viruses to spread onto our campus through our Internet connection.

The political fallout was short-lived.  We had a handful of urgent
requests at the beginning (again, within the first 3-4 weeks) and then
things settled down and have run smoothly.

Obviously, I would encourage you to go forward with a default deny
policy.  Good luck!

David S. Brawner
Manager of Network & User Services
Maryville University of Saint Louis