Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Default Deny Policy at Internet Border

From: Daniel Adinolfi <dra1 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:07:40 -0400

On May 13, 2005, at 15:53, Gary Flynn wrote:
Anyone have any concerns or experiences they
would like to share?

Active FTP will fail.  You will either need to allow for it or have
users use passive FTP.

Some applications like NetMeeting will similarly break.  Again,
judicious use of user education will help you.  Of course, this may not
always fix the problem, so having a management mechanism and and
explicit policy for making exceptions is a Good Idea(tm).

Assuming you permit the known and sanctioned server traffic, it might
help you a lot with minimal overhead.  We have a number of departments
on-campus who have done this for their subnets successfully.  (We do
ACLs on our Edge on a subnet-by-subnet basis instead of at the border,
allowing for more flexibility and easier management).

If you go ahead and do this, we would be interested in hearing how
things go.

-Dan