Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AOL email concerns for nodak.edu (fwd)

From: Daniel Medina <medina () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:38:25 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:30:17AM -0400, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:11:14 EDT, Daniel Medina said:

    Report on domain:  NODAK.EDU
    http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchString=NODAK.EDU

Please note that SenderBase can be *wildly* inaccurate - there have been
days that *my laptop* was reported as generating more mail than the entire
rest of the VT.EDU domain *combined*.  My laptop is reported as having an
"average magnitude" of 4.6 - and our entire Listserv operation sending
anywhere from 200K to 500K msgs/day averages a 4.7 magnitude.

 While it may be inaccurate, I'm sure a quick glance will reveal a
"Hey, does dyn-reshall-xyz.dyn.myschool.edu really need to be sending
mail directly at all?"

 Clicking on that address for more information, I see it's in four
blacklists, but they never asked me about it.  Oops, time to take it
down.

 It's still a useful tool, even if the Richter-style metrics are not
accurate.

--
Daniel Medina