Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: AOL email concerns for nodak.edu (fwd)

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:34:53 -0400

We have considered contacting all our users forwarding to their AOL accounts and
offering them a choice either to stop reporting spam or stop using AOL for
forwarded email...

It's remarkable what messages get looped back to me as spam from AOL users;
letters from Mom, highly personal notes and the like. In fact, I worry about the
breach of privacy that AOL has instituted with this feedback mechanism,
particularly as we start to monitor FERPA compliance, et al.

--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
GnuPG ID 43061C16, Public key http://www.calfrye.com/cfrye.asc

  "I have only made this [letter] longer because I have not had the time to make
it shorter." -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662).

Mark T. Nardone wrote:
One of the reasons we found ourselves on the list was users who forward out
their University email to AOL.
It would cause our domain to be tagged as the spammer rather than the
originating source.
The several instances AOL complained about were not open relays at all.

Mark

Mark T. Nardone
IT Security Analyst
Northeastern University