Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Equipment Disposition - Disk Drive "Sanitization"

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () BROWN EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:46:10 -0500

Can others share what they are doing with regard to ensuring that
information is properly overwritten before a computer is transferred or
disposed of?

We have an agreement with a third party to destroy all drives that are
disposed of - and we also have a form that is filled out when systems
are transferred or "gifted". But we need to tighten this up. I'd like
each department to take responsibility for this and sign off on the form
in such a way that they are accountable for information that gets past
the process. But there is pushback on this (surprise!).

Do others have processes that work well for them?

Thanks much...

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM
Director, IT Security, Brown University
Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
PGP Fingerprint: 452A C178 1450 9CE1 3AC1  CC12 956F 2C55 DB94 A9C7
Office: 401-863-7266