Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Equipment Disposition - Disk Drive "Sanitization"

From: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () UCOP EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:29:58 -0800

"Work well" is perhaps to much to ask but we do have guidelines.  We
are also in the process of tightening up how this is handled.

I think it is essential that someone in each department who knows the
IT environment be designated as the equipment disposal point of
contact.  If it isn't in your job description, it's too easy to
"forget".  We have people termed "PC Coordinators" in each department
who are supposed to do this as part of their jobs.

PC Coordinators are trained how to overwrite the contents of hard
drives - not just "delete" the files.  We recommend software packages
for this purpose.  We have not yet tackled similar requirements for
PDAs, cellphones, etc.

We are looking into an arrangement with a salvage operation that will
then take the equipment and do the same thing.  This doubles your
chance of it being done right.  If the hard drive is inoperable,
we'll probably require that it be crushed.  It also might be a good
idea to require post mortem records indicating how the drive/device
was disposed of, including confirmation that it was scrubbed if not
destroyed, however it probably also would require spot checks or some
form of audit to really know if disposal was being done properly.

I do know that some equipment slips thru the cracks but I think staff
education is a better approach to correcting this than sanctions.

       David Wasley

-----