Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Can Dave be cloned?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:46:07 +0200

[snip]

Interesting!  I know some lisp but haven't used it for years, and I
don't know any haskell at all (never heard of it, in fact).  I should
have mentioned that I'm looking for people more technically skilled
than I am, which is another degree of difficulty.  I'd been thinking
along the lines of perl and/or python--anyone else think I should
stress other languages?

[snip]

Yes, I often think that geezers like me who grew up writing programs
in hex and entering them using the front panel switches have a more
useful mental model of a computer.  OTOH I'm pretty sure I wouldn't
hire myself for the jobs I'm trying to fill ;)

Okay, some thoughts and then a possible solution at the end (skip to it if you like).

I believe an high-level knowledge (working and advanced) of assembly is indeed a good thing. It doesn't usually show you all the good potential employees, and would miss many of them if you aim for *mostly* network or linux people - but it definitely should be one of the languages to watch for, if not the only one. That and knowing what IDA Pro is.

There are so many high-payed security professionals out there who know absolutely nothing. They just one day came out and decided "I am going to be a security professional!" and that was that. They usually wouldn't know much beyond sales and that they research exploits using "C", and when pressured further, "and C++". :)

There is no real "training program" (thank the heavens), and every security professional *usually* knows a lot on some issues and close to nothing on others.

I believe that the main categories for good security people, are those who at one or other time of their life had REAL-:

1. *nix knowledge. Usually but not always cancels out Windows knowledge.
   Preferable to watch for those involved with online open source
   development projects and who know how to hack the kernel.

2. Reverse Engineering knowledge or ASM/HEX (plain RE, old crackers
   (potentially good people, but have a reliability issue), software
   protection, malware analysts, network engineers of the higher level,
   vulnerability researchers?).

3. Methodology planning knowledge . Most of these, although they should
   be as high-up and smart in the snobism scale of the above, are
   lame-O-so-called-consultants who
   don't know ****... which is why I have a hard time trusting them.

Usually I'd say the snobism rating goes by commodity.. there aren't as many reversers, so they would be first in the elite and snobism rating. Then goes the *nix community, and then comes the consultants community.

Prejudiced opinion about them all:

*nix guys are good people. They have the best ideas about life. :)

Reversers are a very rare commodity, whether network or binary, they are extremely good at what they do, and they are indeed very rare.

The consultants (i.e. methodologists or corporate security guys) are usually even more snobish (I should know, unfortunately I started going down that path lately), but by their own accord. Finding good ones is extremely difficult and close to impossible. The market is FULL of "fake" ones. I believe that the "real" and rare ones are even more important than reversers, as they are the most rare.

As to why I chose to rate the kind of people we are by snobism is not because we are all snobs or because.. okay, we are all stuck-up snobs.

:o)

Another thing is again, reliability. 80% (made up number, not including the *nix people) of the above combined categories went down the "dark" path of our force at one time or other, so it should not dis-qualify them. Actually, I'm the only guys I know who hasn't. And that bites back at you in the community. That said, reliability in a person is still important as once they are your employees, you need to trust them and they are not so easy to trust.

----

As to finding people.. in TH-research I started something that helps bring the 200 or so members together. They send me their resume's or what they are looking for in candidates and I connect them together. I have been considering to start a private mailing list for that purpose where proven security professionals of all ages and levels could share job-related issues (resume's and ads).

Emphasis on the private. I would hate for it to become an MCSE ruled list. It would kill the idea of finding the right people for these kind of jobs, and besides.. we are a pretty tight community. We know everybody directly or through a friend.

Why not take it to the next level? If I hear back with support I'll start something using Mailman.

        Gadi.