Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Can Dave be cloned?

From: Jason Lewis <jlewis () packetnexus com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:30:33 -0400

60 Minutes touched a little bit on why this is, last night. You can read the whole thing here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/01/60minutes/main646890.shtml

A quote:
>I talked to the CEO of a major corporation recently and I said, 'What >characterizes your youngest employees nowadays?'" says Levine. "And he >said, 'There's one major thing.' He said, 'They can't think long-range. >Everything has to be immediate, like a video game. And they have a lot >of trouble sort of doing things in a stepwise fashion, delaying >gratification. Really reflecting as they go along.' I think that's >new."

The more people I work with, the more I think what you looking for is very rare. I find that people coming out of school know a lot about software, but have never had to troubleshoot a windows95 box or a network. They just don't understand how everything surrounding their software interacts. That seems to lead to a different thought process and less innovation.

I work for one of Dave's former employers and I deal with lots of smart people. But, most seem to be "book" smart, not "real life experience" smart. When you are troubleshooting weird network problems, the
solution is never in the book.

jas

David Stein wrote:
Desperately seeking Dave...

I need to find one or more smart computer security hackers.  People
who do research, but have some idea what goes on in the real world. People who write excellent software (especially in Python or Perl) but
who are not merely software developers.  People who can do software
engineering in both the forward and reverse directions.  People who
can make new discoveries without having their hands held.  People who
are frighteningly intelligent.  People, in short, a lot like Dave
(well, the arrogance is optional).

Do such people come out of school anymore?  Can anyone suggest a good
way to look for them?  I've found a number of ways (starting with my
corporate HR department) to get deluged by piles of resumes for MCSE's
and computer rackstackers and Java ("The COBOL of the 21st Century
(TM)") programmers, but I can't seem to find any true hackers.  It
seems like the species is extinct.

The degree of difficulty is increased because I'm looking for someone
who has to be a US citizen.  It seems like a lot (maybe most) of the
best work is being done outside the US these days.  From what I can
tell the brightest US college students aren't interested in computers
any longer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
--