Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Can Dave be cloned?

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:14:49 +0000

Jason Lewis wrote:
I work for one of Dave's former employers and I deal with lots of smart people. But, most seem to be "book" smart, not "real life experience" smart. When you are troubleshooting weird network problems, the
solution is never in the book.

Either extreme isn't good, in my opinion. People who are too book smart tend to only be able to think in solution spaces they already know. You get people applying algorithms into contexts that don't make sense, etc. On the flip side, people who are street smart, but not book smart will reinvent the linker, loader, and everything else because they just don't know what's out there. Sometimes they'll stumble into a design pattern, but in my experience they generally make a very complicated system or algorithm to do something that has been solved for decades in a much better way. As a result, they tend to get NIH syndrome and be very xenophobic to "book" smarts, which further limits their usefulness.

I think finding the balance can be very useful. Working with people who are at either extreme has never worked very well for me. Again, I've found that by pairing one personality with the other yields pretty great results compared to other things I've tried.

BTW, most college graduates that I know don't have the problems of which you guys are speaking. I am pretty sure they aren't representative of most, though ;>