Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [COVERT-2001-04] Vulnerability in Oracle 8i TNS Listener

From: ian stanley <iandstanley () users sourceforge net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:47:57 +0100

On Friday 06 July 2001 23:24, Jair Pedro wrote:
After reading the article, I went to oracle to download the patch and was
very surprised that in order do download the patch I would have to Pay!!!
To access the restrict area where I could get the patches I would have to
had a contract with them, which costs about 22% of the licence I already
have.

I tried to explain them by phone and email that was not my fault the fact
that their product had this serious security flaw and all they said was
their assistance in free basis was only during the first 3 months after
install and "you would have a lot of  advantages signing our support
services".

Depending on your country of origin - you could have some consumer protection.

eg.  in the UK  you would probably be supported by /the sale of goods act/
in as much as the security of the product ought to be considered critical
to  the enterprise concerned - and thus the product be /unfit for the purpose
intended/.   Never mind the fact that they may have shipped faulty goods.

Even the possibility of a potential court case being filed against oracle
based ont he being unfit for the purpose - would be rather embarrasing for
oracle.

I dont want support as far we have almost half a ton of books on our
development department and all the news group on the internet...

There is nothing I can do now, except to pay to correct their very own
error, but, on my company,  I do not intend to deploy any others product
which similiar politic$ for patches.

The next time we need a database, it will not be an Oracle.
I'd like to hear from the list if there are others companies/products with
such an absurd policy.

tks

Jair