Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: dleblanc () MINDSPRING COM (David LeBlanc)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:26:39 -0500

At 11:02 PM 2/9/99 +0100, Casper Dik wrote:

Consider another interesting case - there are several sendmail exploits
(circa 8.6) which require hardware and platform-specific eggs.  We
obviously would have a hard time actually implementing these, and it would
be very difficult to make it reliable - so we do a banner check.

Why do you need an egg?  Just stuffing down too much data down
sendmail's throat will make it crash.  Connection closed - has bug.

If we do that, then it won't be around to check for other things.  It could
be done last, but at this point, if we find a sendmail that old, you just
need to either shut it down or update it.  Perhaps a better example would
be exploits which require local access (also a number of these in that time
frame) - it would then require some sort of shell to really exploit, which
isn't practical for a network scanner.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com