Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Access 97 Stores Database Password as Plaintext

From: Smith () IAN ORG (Ian Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:32:45 -0500

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 sozni () USA NET wrote:
My solution was to write a utility that will make a huge file filled
with zeros the same size as the remaining space on the hard drive.  Then
I deleted that file and compacted the database into a new filename.

Of course this was several years ago when remaining space on a hard
drive was negligent.  I look at my remaining hard drive space now and
making a 3GB file would not be practical.  Perhaps you could make a
small partition or even a ram drive just for this purpose.

Or run a utility that wipes out free space on a daily basis.  There
are several that I have seen.

I am not affiliated with Jetico other than a user, but I use their
BestCrypt encrypted filesystem for Windows (which is a great product),
and it comes with a utility to fry unused portions of your hard drive
and other locations that could contain old data.  The drive wiper is
available as a seperate download and is free for noncomercial use.
It's about $10 for the purchased version.

http://www.jetico.sci.fi/bcwipe.htm

--
IanSmith () ncinter net                                  Visit Below!
My HP48/Imagine/ImageMaster/FractalExtreme Page  -->  www.ian.org