Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ISS Internet Scanner Cannot be relied upon for conclusive

From: na98jen () STUDENT HIG SE (Joel Eriksson)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:42:58 +0100

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Randy Taylor wrote:

One of the hard lessons I learned long ago when writing vulnerability
testing code is that exercising exploit methods can do more harm than
good. A crash or a system lockup may be the result, even though the code
was written to avoid such a thing. In other words, stuff can and often does
happen. :-}

Unfortunately I do not doubt this. But it is the only way to make a
conclusive check. I think that there should be at least two
"testing-modes" available, one that can be used on production systems
without having to be afraid of loss of service, and one "real attack" mode.

When a real attacker tries to exploit the vulnerabilities and it results
in a crash, system lockup or in worst case a succesful exploit attempt one
probably wishes a "real attack" test would have been made in the first
place though..

In the end, no commercial vulnerability testing tool can or should
substitute for good old-fashioned human analysis of the post-test report.

This can not be emphasized enough..

While I agree an attacker will most certainly attempt a full-blown
exploit, the attacker has no liability in the corporate sense. A commercial
testing tool like ISS or CyberCop does have such a liability. ISS and NAI
have relatively deep pockets, and must exercise due diligence and care in
the methods used by their products to test for vulnerabilities. No one would
buy their products if they crashed or locked up systems on a regular basis.
Crackers have shallow pockets (or none at all ;), and no such concerns for
diligence or care.

Thats's what disclaimers are for.. ;-) Well, as said before, at least two
"testingmodes" should be available. I realize this a real pain to
implement, but they are _really_ useful and certainly should be of very
high priority.

Best regards,

Randy

/ Joel Eriksson