Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netect Advisory: palmetto.ftpd - remote root overflow

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:09:08 -0800

I would like to thank Jordan for making this information public, and
making available pointers to updated versions of ftpd that do not have
these problems.

Since I did not find a RedHat-4.2 compatible RPM of the latest "vr"
release of wu-ftpd, I took the libery of making an updated ftpd RPM
myself.  This is a "quick and dirty" RPM, and does not, AFAIK, properly
use PAM, and assumes that you are using a standard shadowed system.

One advantage of this version of ftpd, in addition to fixing the long
directory problem, is that /etc/ftpaccess actually works.

RPMs of wu-ftpd-beta18-VR13 here:

        http://www.samiam.org/blackdragon

Hopefully, RedHat will have some more PAM-friendly RPMs available soon for
both 5.2 and 4.2 systems.

- Sam