Bugtraq mailing list archives

nestea2 and HP Jet Direct cards.

From: dlp () WETWORKS COM (Damon Petta)
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 22:40:26 -0700

nestea and nestea2 do a number on HP Jet Direct printer cards, I have
tested it on a HP 5/si and a HP 1600c with Jet Direct cards in them it
locks up until power cycled all of the print jobs that are going to them
are lost. The HP 5/si has a LCD on the front and there is an error code
that is displayed.

80 SERVICE (01E6) CALL SERVICE
            ^^^^
this number changes depending on how my times it is hit with nestea2,
which seems odd to me that if one hit  kills it, what difrence would it
make hitting it with 10 and why would it report a diffrent code.

HP's error code explination states the following.

------------------------
80 SERVICE(xxxx) CALL
SERVICE
------------------------
Indicates an
unrecoverable HP
Modular I/O (HP MIO)
protocol error. This
indicates a
catastrophic system
condition.
------------------------
Switch the printer OFF,
then ON. If the message
continues, contact your
dealer or HP service
representative for
service.

I have also tried bonk, boink, teardrop, overdrop and none of them seem to
have any effect on the printers.

EOT

-- Damon Petta