Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Excellent host SYN-attack fix for BSD hosts

From: freedman () netaxs com (Avi Freedman)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 21:45:31 -0400

Sorry that I got you so worked up - but realize to those who are religiously
anti-Solaris (for whatever the reason, but let's say the top 2 are "why
should I change the keys my fingers are used to hitting" and "gee, am I
glad I didn't go through the years of horrid, buggy, and slow releases").

And the tone of the announcement was fairly off-putting to those
who do prefer to use SunOS.

Anyway, many of those will probably migrate to NetBSD or other variants
and won't be troubling Sun any more in a few years...

And we'll tell people (especially in the ISP and networking community)
about nice patches and will provide community support for them...

 Hopefully Sun will incorporate this into their security announcement, which
 basically says you're screwed if you run SunOS, though it does describe
 how to increase the queue and decrease the SYN-holding timeout (if you
 have source...

      Incorporating it or endorsing it would be problematical for a couple
      of reasons. Let me state them, then if anybody wants to give me
      public or private feedback I'd be delighted.

I understand all of your staed reasons.
What I expressed was a hope.
Obviously that hope is baseless.
That's OK, I'm a big boy :)
Physically as well as emotionally.

      Sorry to go on so long. I guess the good news is that you're
      getting the answer straight from the horse's mouth, with the
      bark off and (pretty much) to the point. If anybody can change
      my mind, I can probably get Avi's suggestion put into practice.
      Now at least you know we considered this kind of action carefully,
      and know the most important reasons we rejected it.

We'll probably post source diffs as well and anyone with SunOS source
(you, perhaps :) ) can take a look and decide for yourselves how messy
or interesting it would be to incorporate the changes.

      I know that this space is not really the place for discussion,
      but I figured if one person could post my work here and the
      other could make a (thoughtful) suggestion about it, it wouldn't

Thanks for realizing it was a thoughtful and only slightly pissed-off
suggestion...

      be out of place for me to respond. I do suggest we take this
      discussion off line now, though. (And I would appreciate it if
      this note didn't appear in places I don't choose to put it, as
      only a few of my other explanations have. Thanks.)

      -mg-

Avi