Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Excellent host SYN-attack fix for BSD hosts

From: jaw () Op Net (Jeff Weisberg)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:43:57 -0400

Casper Dik <casper () HOLLAND SUN COM> notes:
| "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft () mit edu> writes:
| >Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com> writes:
| >> No state is kept locally; when a SYN is received, an ISS is generated that
| >> contains a few bits for reference into a table of MSS values; window size
| >> and any initial data is discarded; and the rest of the ISS is the MD5 output
| >> of a 32-byte secret and all of the interesting header info.
|
| It also breaks "naked SYN" filtering which is commonly employed as a way
| to let established connections through without much effort and filter only
| those TCP packets that have a SYN.
| (Stuff like Cisco's establised keyword)

this would require either:
        guessing the systems secret (128 bits)
                very unlikely

        inverting md5
                I won't say it is impossible, but it is hard

        sending lots and lots of packets until we get a connection
                the odds are no better/worse than any other attack
                based on guessing at seq. numbers

                guessing at a rate of 100 packets/sec it will require,
                on average, 3 days. few 2600 readers have this patience.

| If you want to use "SYN cookies", as this approach is commonly called,
| you should only start to employ them when the connection queue is full.

actually, this was my original intention, and the beginnings of which
are present in the code (dont_queue_mode)

        --jeff