Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Excellent host SYN-attack fix for BSD hosts

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 23:02:26 +1000

In some mail from Jeff Weisberg, sie said:

"Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft () mit edu> commented:
| It also breaks TCP's algorithm for
| recognizing stale data.

how so?

I admit that in writing the code, I was far more concerned with stopping
the attack we were under, than I was in any theoretical reliability concerns,
but the way we generate the iss (which I cannot take credit for), we will
not get values that are slightly less than a previous one for a given set of
{saddr,sport, daddr,dport} which should suffice for the above concern.

Hmmm, RFC1948 addresses the issue of generating a good ISS value.  Did you
implement this ?

Darren