Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: computer with rootkit?

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 11:34:13 -0700

Repairing a rootkit infection is not that difficult. I've
been reverse engineering them for years. Those who have
suggested a reinstall should be ashamed.

Really? It would take at least a few hours to clean as you described, more for someone unfamiliar with the tools and
procedures. While the process may be educational, the result is not entirely reliable. Re-imaging a machine to a
standard install can be done in 15 minutes. Unless the system is highly customized, or a standard image isn't
available, cleaning off an advanced rootkit is nearly always a waste of time.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA