Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: computer with rootkit?

From: Francois Yang <francois.y () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:20:52 -0500

thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I did have the infected system connected to a tap with a linux machine
capturing the traffic with tcpdump to a file.
Booting to Safemode worked for about 2 min.
when in Safemode the computer only stays up for about 2 min then does
a hard shutdown.
I didn't have any issues with leaving the system up for hours in regular mode.
I tried a few of the software recommended and they all came up with
either nothing or pointing to the original file I found in the
C:\windows directory.
I would love to spend more time on this, but I can't spare more time on this.

thanks for all your suggestions.

Frank