Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best firewall applience

From: Ricardo Ferreira <ricardo.ferreira () sotechdatacenter com br>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:37:07 -0300

On Monday 18 January 2010 11:26:44 pm Kurt Buff wrote:
soekris comes to mind.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 01:12,  <Paul.Simons () thomsonreuters com> wrote:
Hum... OK lots of suggestions - Thanks.

So if I go down the do-it-yourself path I would like to find the most
unobtrusive 'box' to build my own UTM system on.

I don't have a problem building one (old guy talking here 30+ years
experience) but it MUST BE - small, quiet, low power and reliable (Gbit
interfaces would be nice-to-have).

I don't think an 'old' PC with numerous NICs would fall into these
categories. Which begs the next question;

      What hardware would be suitable for my needs?

I don't mind spending to get the 'right' system so it could be anything
(old or new.

In answer to the various other questions posed...

I am using a Sofaware appliance (embedded Check Point) - nice because it
is al-in-one box - but as I said too expensive and their licensing
policy sucks (always has - but they are not going to change so I am).

I need a firewall at home because I run a WEB server, media server,
OS-X, XP, BSD, etc and I have two teenage boys trying to get to all
sorts of sites and download stuff I don't want them to ;-) so I would
like to restrict access by time (when they have done their homework or
at weekends or time to sleep) and sites (free surfing for some time -
only educational sites at others)

Anybody who has kids should be doing this sort of thing - suppliers are
starting to wake up to this but not many yet

Thanks
Paul

This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and
information company. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Thomson Reuters.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an
SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company
and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out
how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on
your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your
encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f
727d1

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
 certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and
 how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to
 test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your
 Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted
 to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys
 and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f72
7d1

I have two teenagers and this is what I have deployed at home and work as a
charm..

Firewall
OpenBSD 4.6 + Packet Filter + PFSense

Web Content Filter + Proxy
OpenBSD 4.6 + Squid 2.7 + Calamaris + SquidGuard...

So I have full  access control and how to turn the buttons on and off depending
on time, performance at school, etc, etc......( msn, skype, orkut, facebook,
porn, photos, violence, crimes,... etc...)

The hardware are Sun-based machines, very robust and stable...

Costs: HW-> $1250,00
SW -> $0.00 + a bunch of hours at desk configuring...etc....