Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Best firewall applience

From: "Scott Race" <scott () jda-networks com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:57:48 -0800

I use Untangle at a couple of client locations.  Had some trouble with
Untangle 6, Untangle 7 so far has been good.

You know, it has great features - Spam and Web Filtering, virus
filtering (though mine have never caught a virus), OpenVPN integrated,
site-to-site VPN, as well as reports on website usage and stuff - but, I
just have not found it to be stable in an office environment.  I've had
to replace/reinstall the OS a number of times.

It has a nice settings backup feature, however, on one reinstall it
couldn't import the settings, they were corrupt or something.  So I had
to rebuild from scratch.  Not too hard, but site was down.

I have been moving my clients to Sonicwall boxes and other firewalls, I
just don't have time to deal with firewalls/routers going down.

But it is a cool solution, just wish it was more stable.

HTH