Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spam Solution

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 14 Mar 2008 18:06:42 -0000

We've used Postini for some time and are just moving over to IronPort. The compelling reasons are really fourfold.
We're an SMB with under 600 mailboxes.

1) Postini costs more over time for us.

2) Postini does not (or we don't set it up that way) allow individual users to unquarantine spam mail or give them any
stats or "learn" that something should be trusted. The IronPort will learn this over time based on user input.

3) We also used a third party mail "encryption" product (encryption meaning it's really not smtp more than a web server
to retrieve email.../rant), but the IronPort also saves us money in the long run by doing this function in the same box.

4) It is under our sphere of control. In the past, we're like many in not being able to be as accurate and efficient
with mail control as a third party service. But it is about time to revisit this since a product like IronPort does
most of the heavy-lifting just like a third-party, only within our walls. Basically comes down to progress in this
space.

<- snip ->
I am just sending an e-mail out there to you all to find thoughts out
there on a good Spam solution to possibly use for an enterprise.
Would like to hear positive points and pain points on some solutions
out there from you all if you have the time.