Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching internet facing MS systems

From: <nobledark () hushmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:06:01 -0400

I believe that WSUS supports server chaining (not sure if that is
what it is called) so you could put a WSUS server in your DMZ that
gets its (approved by you) updates from your LAN-based WSUS server.
The DMZ-based WSUS then distributes patches to your DMZ-based
servers.

Alternately, if you did not want your DMZ-based WSUS to talk w/
your LAN-based WSUS, the DMZ WSUS could operate independently,
getting its updates directly from the Internet. You would need to
manage two WSUS at that point but the end result would be the same.
Non MS patches, etc could be handled by other means (WPKG is a good
open source tool for this).

My 2 cents....

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:44:57 -0400 Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>