Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patching internet facing MS systems

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:25:42 -0700

Thanks to those who offered ideas for this issue. The more I learn, the
more it seems there are no real good options for this. I've learned for
example that it's not possible to remove IE from a Server 2003 system. I
remember when IE4 wrapped itself around Windows 95's Active Desktop, but
had assumed various lawsuits in the meantime had loosened its grip.

I'm curious though, can IE components be leveraged in an attack against
a Server 2003 web server? Privilege escalation, for example? Anyone
tried to wrestle IE out of Server 2003?

So far as updating the Windows servers in the DMZ, pointing to an
internal WSUS server requires us to allow inbound HTTP traffic from DMZ
web servers, to an IIS server in our core network, and on our domain.
This just makes our web servers an stepping-stone to the internal
network. This is an unacceptable risk to me. If a DMZ server were
compromised, the WSUS server's IIS install would be a great second
target.

Automatic updates is difficult for us to control, as the destination web
site is constantly rotating through IP addresses. I can't write a
firewall rule allowing our DMZ servers outbound only to Microsoft's
update servers by name. But I can limit the time they're allowed to
connect. I think this is the way we'll go, manually approving and
installing downloaded updates. It's cheaper than adding a WSUS server in
the DMZ.

- Dan

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst