Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patching internet facing MS systems

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:48:02 -0700

Why not allow all outbound traffic from the webserver to port
80/tcp, and set the proxy on the webserver statically to
127.0.0.1:9 via local policies, with the domains required for
automatic updates as exceptions?

Not a bad idea, setting the network perimeter firewall to allow all
outbound HTTP from our DMZ servers, but configuring IE on each of them
with a proxy server setting of 127.0.0.1:(any). This will stop all
outbound HTTP. Then providing a short list of proxy exceptions in IE
(specifically, *.update.microsoft.com, and download.windowsupdate.com)
should enable the Windows Automatic Update feature.

But isn't the proxy setting configurable to anyone with user-level
rights? I suspect it wouldn't slow an attacker down too much if they
wanted to connect to "my-hacker-software.com" for a copy of their
rootkit dujour. Besides, there are other ways to make the web server
"upload" files.

Is there a way to prevent this? Or is it pointless? I'm under the
impression (please correct it if I'm wrong) that darn near any
vulnerability in a Windows system (especially IIS) can eventually be
leveraged into a full system compromise.

- Dan

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer