Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network sniffing on the wire - managed switches

From: "Jorge L. Vazquez" <jlvazquez825 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:14:40 -0500

the problem when doing and ARP poisoning between the Gateway and
everyone else is that you could cause a Denial of Services on the
network, specially when doing this with an average PC... I wouldn't
advice to poison the gateway and every single host in the network

just my two cents

thanks
-JV
www.pctechtips.org

gmail wrote:
I think you mean the router not the switch. You want to arp poison the
network to think you are the router. Need to watch doing everything here
though. To accomplish this you need to send the packet on after it comes
to you. So your port needs twice the bandwidth. You really need to look
at the network layout and only hijack the ports you want. If you do
everything, you have a good chance of slowdown network traffic and this
could lead to someone investigating the traffic patterns.

Good tools for this is dsniff, a little complicated though. Easier tool
is Cain & Able, but windows only.