Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network sniffing on the wire - managed switches

From: Preston Connors <pconnors () atlantic net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:52:48 -0500

Tom,

You can only monitor traffic that is present on your switched port. You
will not be able to monitor traffic on other switched ports if your port
is not set to monitor or hub mode. On under powered and older switches
you may be able to flood the switch with bogus MAC addresses overflowing
the switch's MAC address table. When you overflow the MAC address table
the switch will usually go into hub mode which will then broadcast all
traffic out of all switch ports just like a hub would.