Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network sniffing on the wire - managed switches

From: "Calvin Maready" <cmaready () co del-norte ca us>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 08:12:09 -0800

if by 'not in monitor mode' you mean by not logging into the switch and mirroring all the ports to your port. which
would be the ideal way, you could do arp spoofing and set yourself as the gateway or some other man in the middle
attacks.

Tom Yarrish <tom () yarrish com> 12/26/2008 11:10 AM >>>
Hey all,
This may come off as somewhat of a newbie question, but it's one I've
been curious about.

When you are doing any sort of pen testing or sniffing on the wire,
how do you handle a managed switch scenario.  If you're connected to a
switch on one port, how can you monitor the traffic on the the other
ports if you're not in a monitor mode?  I've never understood how you
can sniff traffic other than the traffic from your machine to a
destination.

Thanks ahead of time,
Tom