Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet usage and monitoring

From: Mark C Carollo <mcarollo () peppm org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:57:44 -0400

Which of these will capture AD usernames so I can track users vs. sites?

-- Mark

At 05:45 PM 9/27/2007, you wrote:
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:08:01 pm Jon Petre wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am looking for an idea/program to monitor users internet usage. Due to
> the nature of the customer who requires the monitoring carried out, this
> program must be able to run on a windows box and needs to be very
> reasonably priced (I have no control over budget unfortunately). I am aware
> of programs such as ISA server (too expensive) and squid (*nix based). Any
> other sugesstions would be great.Customers network is round a bout 20
> workstations that need to be monitored, so pretty small in reality.
>
> Looking forward to all your help.
>
> TIA
>
> Jono

Actually you can get Squid for Windows -
http://www.squid-cache.org/Download/binaries.dyn.

I still think Squid with squidGuard (http://www.squidguard.org/index.html)
with Shalla's Blacklists (http://squidguard.shalla.de/shallalist.html)
running on any Linux server would be the best choice. Download Ubuntu server
and install on any old PC, or a very cheap new box, and make this the proxy
server. You can then access this box using a web browser if you add Webmin
(http://www.webmin.com/) and SARG - Squid Anaysis Report Generator (part of
*nix distros) is available though the Webmin interface.

The whole package would not cost more than $200 if you bought the PC,
otherwise it is all free!

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions
e-mail: steve () bathurstcomputers com au
Mobile: 0407 224 251
.... _
... (0)>
... / / \
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
Registered Linux User #355382

This message may contain privileged, confidential information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or if it does not apply to you or your organization, you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such a case, please delete this message and reply to the sender immediately. Thank you.