Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet usage and monitoring

From: "Manuel García" <mannyto () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:16:42 -0400

On 9/27/07, Jon Petre <jono-31 () hotmail co uk> wrote:
Hello List,

I am looking for an idea/program to monitor users internet usage. Due to the
nature of the customer who requires the monitoring carried out, this program
must be able to run on a windows box and needs to be very reasonably priced
(I have no control over budget unfortunately). I am aware of programs such
as ISA server (too expensive) and squid (*nix based). Any other sugesstions
would be great.Customers network is round a bout 20 workstations that need
to be monitored, so pretty small in reality.

Looking forward to all your help.

TIA

Jono

Can you see your house from the sky? Try Live Search Maps
http://maps.live.com

Squid isn't it for network monitoring, is a Http proxy, in *NIX system
i usually use ntop [1], i don't know if it runs over windows, but is
free, and also is writed in PHP, so, you only need a web server
running on the machine you want to monitor, game over.

[1] http://www.ntop.org/
--
Manuel Garcia
Administrador de redes y servidores