Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The Value of GIAC/GSEC Certification

From: andrews () rbacomm com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:27:18 -0500

I guess I should add that I have an M.S. in C.S. from Illinois, 20 years experience (mostly in the software development area, C++, etc.) and a fairly senior level position now. I am just transitioning into a full time "Security Guy" working on compliance issues and I want to continue enhancing my career.

I want to weight the value of spending the money and study time to get the GSEC, especially if I attend the SANS Security Essentials course this year. (I may or may not do that, I haven't decided yet.)

I am doing a lot of reading either way. I also purchased the Shon Harris course, so that may ultimately be sufficient.

I am also an overacheiver, but I want to make sure to stay somewhat focused. :)

Brad

Quoting Kim Guldberg <kim () bufferzone dk>:

Ohhhh yes, Big time

CISSP is a broad common body of knowledge certification with no depth
at all. IMHO anybody with 3 weeks time to spend, a reasonable head, a
heart for reading and remembering can pass a CISSP.

GIAC certifications requires knowledge, skill and understanding and has
depth. GIAC certifications are practical as well as theoretical.

A CISSP certification is a foundation certification that will lead to a
entry level job in the IT security industry or a non technical job,
i.e. sales or marketing, unless you have other expert level technical
education in witch case a CISSP will serve as an introduction into an
IT security job

GIAC will lead you to an expert level job, i.e. firewall analyst,
forensic analyst and the likes